Opinions

Let’s talk big, not small and recognize others’ suffering

briannaheadshot
Comments (11)
  1. Tommy Kealty says:

Thank you Brianna for bringing this topic to the forefront At Occidental. Iam deeply sorry for your loss. You see I understand what its like to live with a loved one who suffers from mental illness the mis-diagnoses, medication management, the anxiety and stress,, the 72 hour psych ward holds.You hit the nail right on the head when you said” my brother could have talked about his illness more instead of being shamed or stigmatized because, through absolutely no fault of his own, he was burdened with a terrible, terrible disease.” Thank you for writing about the pain and misconceptions of this disease, how society hides it from the outside world. Thank you.We all know someone who suffers and we need to understand the epidemic levels of this illness today.

2. Julie Beach says:

thank you for writing this important piece with unique insight and knowledge.

3. Mindy says:

Thank you for sharing. I found this on my daughter’s facebook page. She’s always had anxiety, but 4 months ago she suffered terrible trauma (rape) and is really struggling. We tell our children to come forward and report sexual assault and with that there are expectations that the perpetrator with be convicted and go to jail, when in reality, that happens less than 2% of the time. Therapy, medication, love and support. I feel like I’m letting her down. Thank you again for your brave insight.

4. Robin Pounders says:

This is really powerful. Thank you so much for writing, and so sorry for your loss.

5. Kathleen Khan says:

Firstly my deepest condolences to you and your family I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will always be in heart and prayers. You have touched many people hearts with your powerful words. So thank you from all of us for enlightening us so we can also be an avocate for others with mental health issues. ???

6. Amy Oser says:

I’m seeing that Lorna Giron shared this on Facebook. I learned about your brother’s passing from my principal, Dr. Weller. I’m so sorry for your loss, Brianna. Condolences to your family, from the Oser family. Beautifully written, Brianna. Mental illness is a very difficult thing.

7. Pam Calabrese says:

Brianna, thank you for sharing this. What you said about how hard it is to separate who your brother was from the way his illness affected him is something I still struggle with in terms of my mother, who also had mental illness that was never diagnosed in a way that helped her enough. She self-medicated and suffered from alcoholism as well, and the combination was more than she could bear. Things have changed so much from back when she died of her diseases, but we still have a long way to go in terms of how society deals with mental illness. Talking about it is where we must always start. Love to you and your family, as always.

8. Lori Jones says:

Brianna, I’m so sorry for your loss. Your sharing is one of the most on-target, genuine, and honest writings that I’ve seen on the topic of suicide and mental illness in recent times. I am 55, have struggled with severe Bipolar Disorder for 30 years, and there are so few people that will talk big with me. Your words touch me. I will be sharing them with friends and family. Thank you for finding your unique voice in your time of grief. Yes, let’s talk big. I hate small talk too.

9. Laura Buoni says:

I am so very sorry you lost your brother, he was far too young to have suffered so much but I know he did. I know because I have lived this path with my 28 yro son since he was a teenager. You are wise and compassionate way beyond your years. I too try to get people to talk big. In my refusal to remain silent about mental illness I often feel that I too am brushed to the corner, The resistance is disheartening. Keep fighting, and I will too.

10. Kate says:

Thank you for speaking out. I am so sorry for your loss. I am certain you still miss your brother even though you understand his choice. Thank you for being vulnerable with your story.

11. Jeni says:

Your truth resonates with me and I will share it.