On the night of the 6th I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of the fire alarm going off in Stearns. I got out of bed after someone knocked loudly on my door yelling, “It’s a real fire!”
When I got into the hallway, sure enough I could see huge flames out the hall window on the first floor. Naturally, I was more than a little rattled by the situation. The fire was put out and now several days later, the charred remains of an armchair still sit outside the back door of Stearns. I have rarely heard of furniture spontaneously combusting, and the chair was rather strategically placed, so reason leads me to believe that this was arson.
At the end of September, a similar fire occurred in Haines. This time a trash can was ignited inside the building in the middle of the night. In my opinion, two unexplained cases of arson in a short period of time pose quite a problem.
Why, then, have I heard nothing about either fire from the Weekly, the Digest, Residence Life, or Campus Safety? I am sure that Campus Safety has investigated both fires thoroughly, but why are the students still uninformed?
This article has been archived, for more requests please contact us via the support system.